As I cook more often, the faster and easier it becomes.
The grocery shopping trip has also become more efficient, as I know the quantity and types of food that I can handle well. I allow myself to buy only one “exotic” or unfamiliar ingredient per trip and cook it before my next shopping trip. Plus, I always keep in mind that it is the size of the crisper drawer, not the entire fridge, that determines the maximum quantity of purchase.
Back to fast and easy cooking, this 16cm frittata gets done really quick, only 15 minutes, as cooking time is solely for frying the eggs and blanched spinach mixture till set, plus another 2-3 minutes under the broiler to cook the top. Since eggs get cooked really fast, they make a fulfilling breakfast even on a school day morning rush.
My Tiger wide tray toaster oven is big enough for my skillet, but I fear that it might not be able to handle the cast iron weight, so I left the lever door open, hold the skillet (wearing oven mitt) under the heating element to broil the frittata. This method takes away the need to preheat the oven, saving time and electricity, as I only need the broiler for less than 5 minutes.
Served these with sauteed button mushrooms, perfect way to start the day!
FRESH SPINACH MUSHROOM FRITTATA
3 eggs 4 stalks spinach, wash and cut away roots dash of black pepper 1 tablespoon salted butter 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese red chilli flakes, optional
01. In a pot of boiling water, blanch spinach till cooked, emerge immediately in a bowl of room temperature water. Remove from water and chop roughly. Set aside.
02. In a bowl, whisk spinach, eggs and black pepper together.
03. Heat up the skillet over medium heat. Melt butter and pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle chilli flakes on top.
05. Cook till frittata is almost done, around 3-4 minutes, but top remains slightly moist.
06. Place skillet in oven and broil till eggs are fully set, about 3 minutes.
07. Remove from oven, sprinkle grated cheese. Serve immediately.