These oyster mushrooms make a very satisfying meatless version of Dak (Chicken) Bulgogi. The sauce recipe is a keeper, use it to team with firm tofu, or use it to stir fry an assortment of mushrooms like shitake, enoki etc.
Unlike the chicken, the fresh king oyster mushrooms will soak up the sauce like sponges when they are still uncooked. So I skipped the marinating step, and stir fried the mushrooms with the sauce instead.
RECIPE : MUSHROOM BULGOGI
Adapted from HERE
- 1 packet of big oyster mushrooms, sliced - 3 tablespoons soy sauce - 1 tablespoon lemon juice - 1 tablespoon brown sugar - 1 tablespoon honey - 1 tablespoon rice wine or mirin - 1 tablespoon minced garlic - 1 teaspoon grated ginger - 1 tablespoon sesame oil - dash of black pepper - 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
01. Combine all the items except the mushroom together in a medium bowl, whisk till brown sugar dissolves.
02. Preheat skillet over medium heat.
03. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil, and mushrooms into the skillet. Stir the mushrooms around the skillet to cook them till fragrant.
04. When the mushrooms are cooked, pour in the sauce in step 1, and stir quickly around to coat them with the sauce. Add 1 -2 tablespoons of hot water if it is too dry.
05. Garnish with more sesame seeds. Serve immediately.