This was supposed to be a Korean dish (Dubu Jorim), but I substituted the Korean Red Pepper Flakes in the recipe with Szechuan peppercorns, as I have been fixated by these fiery seeds in my cooking lately.
It’s still as tasty, and goes just as well with steamed white rice.
RECIPE : SZECHUAN PEPPERCORNS BRAISED TOFU
/ Adapted from this Source
1 large firm tofu (about 280gram)
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk scallions, finely chopped
01. Cut firm tofu into large pieces.
02. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
03. Add 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a hot skillet or wok.
03. Place tofu pieces on the wok, sear till light golden brown on both sides.
04. Pour the sauce mix over the cooked tofu, turning heat down and simmer for a few minutes.
05. Before the sauce dries up, turn the cooked tofu and allow the other side to cook in the sauce as well.
06. Place tofu on serving plate, topped with more sesame seeds and scallions if preferred.
07. Served immediately, with steamed white rice.