I have some 4 inches mini tube pans that I love to death. They are wonderful for testing out new recipes, and by baking mini versions, sharing is also prettier when you can just give a couple of these whole cakes away, instead of slicing from a bigger cake.
I baked these mini coffee chiffon cakes with 3-in-1 instant coffee mix powder dissolved in 20ml of hot water. I used it to replace 1 tablespoon coffee powder, 20 ml fresh milk and 20 grams sugar from the original recipe, in case you don’t have 3-in-1.
RECIPE : MINI COFFEE CHIFFON CAKE
/ Makes 2 x 4 inch cakes
- 1 tablespoon 3-in-1 instant coffee mix*
- 20ml hot water
- 2 egg yolks
- 20ml cooking oil
- 40g self raising flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 50g castor sugar
* I used “Super” brand of Instant White Coffee Mix
01. Dissolve instant coffee mix powder in hot water.
02. In a mixing bowl, combine well the dissolved coffee, egg yolks and oil.
03. Fold in self raising flour to form batter. Set aside.
04. In a separate bowl, whisk egg white with cream of tartar until soft peaks are formed.
05. Gradually add sugar in three additions, beat at high speed until stiff peaks are formed.
06. Gently fold in the egg white mixture into the yolk batter.
07. Pour batter into the mini tube pans. Tap the pans on the table to remove air pockets.
08. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven at 170C.
09. Remove from oven, invert pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes before removing the cake to serve.