The first time I bought “fresh” (those wrapped in banana leaf and newspaper) tempeh from wet market, I thought it had turned moldy and threw it away. Little did I know that these fermented soy beans are ranked so high on nutritional scale because of these “moldy” qualities. Since then, they have turned up pretty regularly on my grocery list.
Besides deep-frying them to make tasty crispy snacks, tempeh is also great as a meat replacement patty. The trick is to marinate the tempeh to taste “meaty” and saute till brown after. Garlic powder, Worcestershire or BBQ sauce are great for that purpose. I boil the tempeh slices first before dipping them in marinate so that they can absorb the sauce better when they are still hot. After topping up with mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts (another superfood!) and caramelised onions, my kids can’t even tell that there is no meat in this sandwich.
VEGGIE TEMPEH SUB SANDWICH
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 tempeh slices - 1 Ciabatta bread - Olive Oil Tempeh Marinate : - 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - 1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder - 1 tablespoon soy sauce - 1/2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce Toppings: - Cheddar cheese slices - 1 big portobello mushrooms, sliced - 1/2 yellow onions, sliced - Alfalfa sprouts
01. Mix marinate ingredients in a saucer, set aside.
02. Cook tempeh in boiling water for about 3 minutes, remove tempeh from water place in marinate sauce. Prick tempeh with fork a few times and marinate for about 10 to 30 minutes.
03. In a heated pan with olive oil, saute onion slices till they turn soft over medium heat.
04. Add portobello mushrooms and continue to saute, add more oil if necessary.
05. Once onion slices have caramelised and mushrooms turn soft, remove from pan and set aside.
06. Add some oil to the pan, and saute marinated tempeh on both sides.
01. Slice Ciabatta bread into half, and toast with cheddar slices. Place tempeh slices.
02. Add saute mushrooms and onions. I added some chopped uncooked onions as well for some crunch.
03. Lastly, top with alfalfa sprouts and serve immediately.