Helping my family to cut down on meat intake after the first week of CNY festive binge eating, and adding firm tofu to meat dishes is definitely one of the best way.
A family favorite is pan fried tofu with minced pork in oyster sauce. This time, I crush the firm tofu into crumbles and mix it with mince meat to form patties for pan frying. Then I cook them in this korean barbeque sauce left over from the steamboat dinner, which you can also easily prepare at home like this.
TOFU MEAT PATTIES
150g minced pork 1/2 a package firm tofu 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 egg 1 teaspoon light soy sauce 1 teaspoon corn starch Dash of salt and white pepper Oil to fry patties and cook sauce 1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped roughly 3 tablespoons of Korean bbq sauce 1/2 cup water
01. Marinate minced pork in soy sauce, corn starch, salt and pepper for about 10 minutes.
02. Crush firm tofu into crumbs with clean bare hand.
03. Mix tofu crumbles, marinated minced pork and oatmeal together in a large bowl.
04. Add egg to the mixture and stir to combine.
05. The patty will be wet, but not runny, and will firm up after pan frying. Otherwise, you may add a tablespoon of oatmeal if you find the patty mixture too wet for handling.
06. Scoop a heap tablespoon of patty mixture, and place it gently in a heat pan with 4 tablespoon of oil. Flatten with the back of the spoon to loosely form a round patty.*
07. Repeat with the remaining patty mixture.
08. Flip over to cook the other side of the patty when one side is cooked and turns golden brown.
09. Transfer to plate and set aside.
10. In the same frying pan, if there is no oil remaining after cooking the patties, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil, and cook onion pieces till soft.
11. Mix the Korean bbq sauce with 1/2 cup of water and add into the softened onions.
12. Once the sauce starts to bubble and boil, add in the cooked patties, stir around to coat patties with sauce. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
13. Tranfer to plate and serve immediately.
++ * I am able to handle the patty mixture to shape it into bigger patties, if I wet my hands with water. Adding more oatmeal also helps to make the mixture more manageable.