A meat free dish packed with powerful umami punch. I cooked this with two of my favorite mushrooms : Oyster and Bai Ling mushrooms.
STIR FRIED MISO MUSHROOMS
- 1 packet of fresh oyster mushrooms - 1 large head of canned Bai Ling mushrooms, sliced - 2 tablespoons of cooking oil - 1 tablespoon of butter - 2 large cloves of garlic, minced - 2 heap tablespoons of miso paste - 3 tablespoons of water - For garnish: spring onions, chopped
01. In a heated wok, add oil and butter.
02. Add garlic and fry till fragrant.
03. Add miso paste, flatten the miso paste with a spatula to mix it well with the garlic and oil.
04. Add in both types of mushrooms.
05. Toss around, allowing the miso paste to coat the mushrooms evenly.
06. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, with just enough water to produce a steaming effect to cook the mushrooms, but not too much to dilute the gravy.
07. Once the mushrooms are cooked, transfer them to a serving dish and garnish with chopped spring onions.
++ Notes to Self ++
Butter can be salted or non salted, I find that it doesn’t really matter after adding miso paste.
Some miso paste can taste saltier than others, I use the white+low sodium version of miso paste, adjust amount of miso according to one’s taste preference and the type of miso used.