The original recipe is titled Dried Shrimp Sambal.
I noticed that belechan was not used, so I better stated it on mine, just in case I make another version with belachan in the future.
SAMBAL DRIED SHRIMP
Adapted from Indochine Kitchen
- 150 g dried shrimp - 50 g red chilies - 8 shallots - 3 cloves garlic - 4 tbsp sugar - Juice of 1/2 lime - 1/2 cup vegetable oil
01. Wash dried shrimps under running tap briefly, pat dry with clean cloth.
02. Finely ground the dried shrimps. I had no mortar and pestle, so I chopped up the 150g dried shrimps (in 3 batches) in a food processor.
03. Next, the chili + shallots + garlic cloves + lime juice + sugar goes into the blender.
04. I added about 1 tablespoon of water to make the blending easier.
05. Next, heat the oil in a wok.
06. Add the blended spice mix in and fry it till it turns darker and thicker in consistency.
07. Add grounded dried shrimps, and continue frying, till the shrimp absorbs the spice sauce mix, around 5 minutes.
08. Remove from heat and serve immediately.