I would try to avoid using frozen puff pastry if I can make the real thing from scratch. Is there an easy recipe out there?
Adapted from here
Makes 12 croissants
1 packet 500g ready frozen puff pastry
100g bitter sweet chocolate, 70% cocoa
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
01. Preheat oven at 200C.
02. Thaw frozen puff pastry 1/2 hr to 1 hr before unfolding it on a floured table.
03. Cut into 12 even rectangles strips.
04. Place a cut pastry strip with the shorter part facing you on the table, brush both sides with softened butter.
05. Place a teaspoon of chopped chocolates at the end of the pastry, roll once. Place another teaspoon of chopped chocolates , roll again. Repeat till you reach the end of the strip.
06. Brush the end with egg, and seal. Make sure you pinch the sides as well to make sure the chocolate does not ooze out during baking.
07. Repeat the steps with the remaining 11 pastry strips.
08. Place the 12 chocolate croissants on a lined baking tray and brush the top with beaten egg.
09. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before putting them in the oven.
10. Bake for 20 minutes until they are golden and puffy.
++ Notes to Self ++
Try to choose frozen pastry made with butter, avoid those with margarine
Instead of placing a single piece of chocolate in each croissant, I chopped up the chocolates, and added a scoops of it as I rolled up the pastry. This way, I use lesser amount of chocolate than what the recipe called for, but I managed to get chocolate in every bite by distributing them evenly in between the layers, not just as a center filling.