Heart shape breads need not be made only on Valentine’s Day, when they are this easy. 🙂
/ another shaping method.
No bread improver or softener.
++Notes001 // If the leftover buns stored overnight have slightly dried out, warm up in a toaster or oven, they’ll turn soft back. But only for a while, say not more than 1 minute. And warm them up just before eating. If let them cool down, they’ll only turn harder than before.
++Notes002 // Brush melted butter over the bread when they are just freshly out of the oven is important, helps to keep the buns soft.
CRANBERRIES AND RAISINS MINI SOFT BREAD ROLLS
// Adapted from a sweet dough recipe from this book
// Makes 10 mini buns
- 174g bread flour - 43g plain flour - 13g milk powder - 7g instant yeast - 39g white castor sugar - 2g salt - 22g beaten egg - 100g water - 22g unsalted butter - dried cranberries or raisins
01. Sift both types of flour, yeast and milk powder in a bowl. Set aside.
02. In a mixing bowl with a flat beater, mix sugar, salt, egg and water, on speed 1 for 2 minutes or till well combined.
03. Add flour and milk powder mixture, and run the mixer on speed 1 till the ingredients form a ball.
04. Change to a dough hook, and knead at speed 2 for about 5 minutes.
05. Add in butter, and continue to knead at speed 2 till dough reach window pane stage.
06. Remove bowl from mixer, knead the dough with hand into a neat ball, cover it with a clean tea towel and proof it for 90 minutes, when the dough expands to twice its size.
07. Pour out the expanded dough on a clean kneading board/tabletop, and knead the dough again, pushing out gases inside.
08. Divide and shape the dough equally into 10 small balls (about 40g each). Set aside to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
09. Flatten each dough gently with palm, place a teaspoon of raisin/cranberries/or a mixture of both in the center.
10. Shape the dough into a ball and arrange on a baking tray. Proof for another 45 minutes.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 10 minutes or until the buns turn golden brown.
12. Remove from oven and brush each of the bun’s top with melted butter immediately to keep the buns soft, even after cooling down.