First read about the cake from here, who saw it here, who almost lost the recipe from here. The amount of sugar has since been cut to 160g (from 180g). I reduced it further to 150g. I also used salted butter instead of adding salt separately.
Another variation of this pumpkin butter cake (8″ square) can be found here, who also made a less fattening sponge version.
+ I used an 8 inch round pan and baked for 80 minutes. Original recipe’s baking time was 55-60 minutes with a 7″x7″ square pan.
PUMPKIN BUTTER CAKE
recipe adapted from here
yields an 8 inch cake
250g salted butter, softened
3 large eggs
150g steamed pumpkin, cooled and mashed
300g self raising flour
20g corn flour
150g pumpkin, peeled and diced
optional : pumpkin slice and seeds for topping
01. Preheat oven to 175ºC. Line and grease the baking pan.
02. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
03. Add in eggs, one at a time, and continue creaming until colour turned pale.
04. Stir in mashed pumpkin and mix well.
05. Sift together 2 types of flour, fold into the mixture alternate with milk.
06. Gently stir in diced pumpkin.
07. Transfer batter into baking pan, arrange pumpkin slices and sprinkle pumpkin seeds on the surface.
08. Bake for 80 minutes or until a test stick comes out clean. Cool thoroughly on a rack before serving.
This recipe does not belong to my grandma, but someone else’s 79-year-old grandma, who was featured in The Sunday Times few weeks back. I made a mental note to keep this recipe, and managed to find an online version of it here. I love collecting grandma/auntie/mother-in-law’s recipes!
The original recipe makes four 20cm cake. I found the cake a bit flat when I followed the recipe last week. So yesterday I halved it, less an egg and baked it in a 20cm x 7cm tall round pan to make one cake.
The best form of complement for this cake is an empty pan on the kitchen counter by late morning today. The Big Man who usually shuns sweet stuffs has gobbled a few slices for breakfast already. The little ones could not resist the temptation for a butter-cake-with-hot-Milo supper last night….
CLASSIC BUTTER CAKE
// Adapted from : Soshiok.com
250g salted butter, soften at room temperature
1 cup fine sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup self raising flour, sifted
Oven Temp : 150C
Bakeware : 20cm x 7cm (Height) Round Pan
1. Preheat the oven to 150C.
2. In an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar for about 10 minutes until well-mixed and fluffy. Leave the mixer on medium speed for the next two steps.
3. Add the vanilla extract.
4. Crack the eggs in, one at a time.
5. Add the self-raising flour in two batches at low speed. Run a spatula along the side of the bowl to make sure all the flour is blended properly. You should get a smooth and creamy batter.
6. Pour batter into baking pan.
7. Place the tins in the preheated oven to bake for about 50 minutes.
8. Insert a toothpick or knife into the middle of each cake. If it comes out clean, the cakes are ready. Cool them in the baking tins for about 15 minutes on a rack.
9. Take the cakes out from the tins and serve. If not consumed immediately, keep the cakes in air-tight containers and refrigerate.